The General Anthroposophical Society (GAS) describes membership like this:
As economic independence is the foundation of a free, creative spiritual life, the General Anthroposophical Society and its School of Spiritual Science are supported financially, solely by contributions from its members and friends and income generated through its programs and activities.
The Foundation Statute and the Statutes of the General Anthroposophical Society provide information about its tasks and about the focus of its work. Your membership contribution supports the Society in achieving its objectives and creatively realising its tasks in art, science and education. The Goetheanum as the center of the General Anthroposophical Society requires support for its ongoing activities and commitments.
In accordance with the Foundation Statute of the General Anthroposophical Society (Article 4), “anyone can become a member without regard to nationality, social standing, religion, scientific or artistic conviction, who considers the existence of such an institution as the Goetheanum in Dornach in its capacity as a School of Spiritual Science to be justified.”https://www.goetheanum.org/en/members
Why join the Johannesburg branch of the Anthroposophical Society?
As a member of the Anthroposophical Society of Johannesburg (ASJ), you will have access to anthroposophical information, activities, events and a growing community of like minded seekers.
Some other benefits include:
- Free membership of our extensive Anthroposophical Library.
- Be the first to know about new arrivals in our Bookshop.
- Access to events, including talks and conferences for members.
- Access to Study Groups and support to start your own group (in person and online using Zoom, for example), and to use our venues for in-person Study Groups.
- Access to Courses and a Podcast (coming soon).
- News about the latest events happening world wide.
- After 2 years of membership, you can apply to request access to the High School for Spiritual Science, to further your studies in Anthroposophy.
What Society am I joining?
The General Anthroposophical Society (GAS) has its administration centre in Dornach, Switzerland. One becomes a member of the GAS through the country group, the Anthroposophical Society in Southern Africa (ASSA). In many regions of South Africa there are local groups which members may join.
We have a group here in Johannesburg, called the Anthroposophical Society of Johannesburg (ASJ).
So when you join, you would be joining the ASSA, Johannesburg Group (ASJ).
How do I join?
What are the Costs?
Currently, the recommended contribution for 2023 (March) to 2024 (February) (which was agreed at the last ASSA and ASJ Annual General Meeting) is:
- GAS (World society) – R 800.00
- ASSA (South African group) – R 900.00
- Johannesburg Branch – R 400.00
- TOTAL CONTRIBUTION R 2100.00
Payment plan options are available – please contact our Secretary for information.
Who can I contact for questions?
You are welcome to contact our Secretary for more information.